Thursday, September 20, 2007

Why I Love Football?

You gotta be kidding.
Hahahahahaha. Football is one of the major sports in the world, and it doesn't matter who, football IS appealing to EVERYONE from EVERYWHERE. Out of the 10 conversations you have with anyone else, surely at least 1 or 2 will be related to football.

" Eh did you watch MU's match yesterday night?"

" OF COZ! Ronaldo was splitting Lisbon's defence!" =D


See, even when you have nothing to talk about to your friends or relatives, go ahead and talk about football. It can go for hours =)


Ok fine part of the reasons why i blogged about this was MU's victory against Sporting Lisbon yesterday night in the Champions League. Though its another 1-0, this 1-0 is a way better one, and from this game my love for football grew much more than ever. Also, plus the fact for the last two days Claryn and I were crapping and quizzing each other about football also reignited my interest for football. But some questions she asked was well, lol.


"Who's my hubby?"

"Fernando Torres"

"Who's Fernando Torres' gf?"
"ME!"

For all you know, she asked and answered that herself. Swt hahahaha. It's fun to talk about football with this girl. =)

So, here comes the most important part, WHY I LOVE FOOTBALL?


1) The game's history

Football has a very great history, from the golden generations of the older competitions to the modernized game now, it involved lots of transitions over the years, and we are not talking bout 5-10 years, its decades. Constant changes of tournament formats which allow more teams from all over the world to participate in the game, have enhanced the interests among the world's population. Take for example, the World Cup, imagine how proud will you be when your nation participates in the tournament. Too bad I'm a Malaysian. lol. Illustrious tournaments like the Champions League, have seen great legendary teams which brought a whole new definition to football.


2) Exceptional players

Football is not just about the team, it's about quality players that a team has. Players who can win matches with moments of brilliance. Pele, Maradona, who doesn't know them? Even when you're not a football fan, you have to recognize their abilities. And I haven't told you how much awed I am to witness players dancing around with the ball at will, fooling defenders who could only just stand and watch. Kaka, Zidane, and so many others have graced the world of football with their flashing skills which will be remembered forever. Ronaldo, with his usual stepover skills. Gerrard, the inspirational captain for Liverpool. Not forgetting the many rising stars today, which is another beauty of football, as great players set a benchmark for players to achieve.


3) GOALS!

No matter how the team fared, the most important aspect of the game, is GOALS! I just loveeeeeee watching how the goals are scored and made. It signifies team unity as players work out terrific passes to grind out goals. Little one-twos along the way, beautiful. =D And also, you can score goals with ur head, leg, ankle, everywhere, including hand! Of course don't try this if your not maradona. You may get sent off lol. Also, there are so many types of goals, chicken-like goals (ask Nistelrooy) and then own goals as well! I'll laugh at those who so smartly put the ball into his own net. lol. Scorching goals from long-range shots and volleys, they are my favourite. =)




Poor keeper.


Scoring from the halfway-line also takes something special.

4) Controversy

Say what you want, there are controversies in every football match. No referees could be right all the time, even for the number one referee Pierluigi Collina. Wrongly given penalties, freekicks or sending-offs are what make the game even more mouth-watering. It just adds to the excitement of the game. Simple example, when your team is leading and you're a man down, you have to defend for your lives instead of looking for more goals. Goals which should be disallowed but never so, just makes you even more glued to the television.


5) Fans

Noise, noise and MORE NOISE! It is the atmosphere inside a stadium which spurs the team on, and scaring the opposition. Alex Ferguson once said the Old Trafford's atmosphere was deafening, imagine that. =) Also, I would really love to see the sportsmanship being shown by the fans, together with sense of appreciation and support. Just today, the match between MU and Sporting Lisbon, Lisbon showed a standing ovation to Ronaldo even though he's no longer a Lisbon player as his performance was the most outstanding. And notably, Liverpool fans often show great appreciation towards the opposition as well. Bravo =D





The famous Stretford End. I would LOVE to be in there.


6) MASSIVE MATCHES!

- MU vs Liverpool
- Arsenal vs Chelsea
- Barcelona vs Real Madrid
- Local derbies

I don't need to say much you can imagine the excitement yourselves =)


7) Determination

Another beautiful thing about football is that nothing is predictable in a match. Anything can happen really. Even your team is leading 2-0 with 10 minutes to go, everything still needs to be done until the whistle is blown. Sometimes sheer determination wins you matches. For that, I have to salute Liverpool.


8) Fun, fun and JUST FUN!

Passion is the right word I should say. Nothing is more fun that watching a football match with a group of friends, and even better when you're watching with fans of the opposing team! Imagine the roars and dismay groans. Love it! (But as human I also dislike being the losing one =P)




=)
All in all, football is everything. =D Ok I have lots of assignments to be done. AHHHHHHHHHHH! =S

No comments: